We get a lot of first-time patients coming to Eden Medical looking to get lip filler, with questions about what the experience will be like, any potential discomfort, and results. We discuss Lip Filler: Everything You Need To Know and what you should expect for your first visit to Eden Medical in anticipation of receiving your first lip filler treatment.
Lip fillers also known as Dermal Fillers are a popular cosmetic procedure used to enhance the appearance of the lips. The procedure involves injecting a hyaluronic acid-based filler into the lips to add volume, improve the shape, and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. The results of lip dermal fillers are immediate and can last anywhere from six to twelve months, depending on the type of filler used and individual factors such as metabolism and lifestyle.
What To Expect For The First Time Getting Lip Filler
If you’re considering getting lip filler, it’s important to understand what to expect during and after the procedure. Here are some general things you can expect when getting lip filler:
- You will have a consultation with one of our doctors at Eden Medical before your procedure to discuss your goals, expectations, and medical history. Our doctor will also assess your lips and facial features to determine the best approach and quantity of filler to suit your individual needs.
- The amount of lip filler injected into the lips varies depending on several factors, including the individual’s anatomy, desired results, and the type of filler being used. Typically, the amount of filler used in Eden Medical Clinic ranges from 0.5ml, 0.7ml to 1ml.
- Preparation: Your Doctor will clean the injection sites with an antiseptic solution and may apply a numbing cream or ice pack to the area to reduce discomfort.
- Injection: The filler will be injected into specific areas of the lips, such as the vermillion border, cupid’s bow, or the body of the lips, using a fine needle or cannula. You may feel some pressure or mild discomfort during the injection, but it should be relatively painless if a numbing cream or other pain relief is applied beforehand.
- Massage: After the injections, the Doctor may massage the lips to distribute the filler evenly and to help reduce swelling.
- Results: You should see immediate results after the procedure, with fuller and more defined lips. However, there may be some swelling and bruising, so the final results may not be fully visible until a few days after the procedure.
- Aftercare: Your Doctor will provide you with specific aftercare instructions, which may include avoiding certain activities and applying ice packs to reduce swelling. It’s important to follow these instructions carefully to ensure the best possible outcome and reduce the risk of complications.
- Follow-up: You may need to schedule a follow-up appointment with your Doctor to monitor your results and make any necessary adjustments.
Overall, the lip filler procedure is a relatively quick and straightforward process that can provide noticeable results. However, it’s important to choose a qualified and experienced practitioner and carefully consider your goals and expectations before undergoing the procedure.
How Long Does Lip Filler Last?
The duration of lip fillers depends on several factors, including the type of filler used, the individual’s metabolism, and the amount of filler injected. On average, hyaluronic acid lip fillers can last anywhere from 6-12 months, depending on the specific product used and the individual’s body chemistry. Some fillers may last longer, up to 18 months, while others may only last a few months. It’s important to note that the effects of lip fillers are not permanent, and repeated treatments will be necessary to maintain the desired look.
Factors that can affect the longevity of lip fillers include smoking, excessive sun exposure, and other lifestyle habits that can break down collagen and elastin in the skin.
Most Popular Products Used For Lip Filler
There are several lip filler products available on the market, but Texoane, Juvederm, and Restylane would be considered the most popular hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers.
Teoxane’s lip filler product is called Teosyal Kiss and is formulated to enhance the volume and shape of the lips while providing a natural-looking result. It contains a high concentration of hyaluronic acid, which helps to plump and hydrate the lips and has a smooth consistency that allows for easy injection and even distribution.
Like other hyaluronic acid fillers, Teoxane’s lip fillers are considered safe and effective when performed by a qualified and experienced Doctor.
Trends in Injecting lip filler
The trend in lip filler injections has been changing over the years, with new techniques and approaches emerging. Here are some of the latest trends in injecting lip filler:
- Natural-looking lips: At Eden Medical we have always leaned towards injecting filler to promote a patient’s natural-looking lips. This focuses on enhancing the natural shape and volume of the lips rather than creating an overfilled, exaggerated look, using smaller amounts of filler and more subtle techniques to create a natural-looking result. When we get new patients in the door who are getting filler in their lips for the first time, we always recommend starting with .05 mL and building upon that amount if you or your doctor feel you need more. Another area Eden Medical focus on is lip proportions and creating a balance between the upper and lower lips, as well as between the lips and the rest of the face, in a way that complements the overall facial features.
- The Russian lip technique: The Russian lip technique involves injecting filler not just in the body of the lips but also in the vermillion border (the edge of the lips) and the philtrum (the indentation between the nose and upper lip) to create a more defined and plump lip shape.
- Butterfly Lips refers to a specific lip shape or technique for lip augmentation, but without further information or context, it’s difficult to provide a clear answer.
Lip Filler Aftercare
Proper aftercare is essential to ensure the best possible outcome and reduce the risk of complications following lip filler injections. Here are some general tips for lip filler aftercare:
- Avoid touching your lips for at least six hours after the procedure to prevent bacteria from entering the injection sites.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, saunas, and steam rooms for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Apply ice packs or a cold compress to your lips to reduce swelling and bruising for the first 48 hours.
- Avoid alcohol, aspirin, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for 24 hours after the procedure, as these can increase the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and avoid consuming hot or spicy foods for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid applying lipstick, lip balm, or any other lip products for at least 24 hours after the procedure. A medical-grade lip balm will be applied to your lips after the treatment to help the healing process and keep your lips hydrated.
- If you experience any pain, discomfort, or other side effects after the procedure, contact your practitioner for advice.
Things To Look Out For After Dermal Lip Filler
After getting dermal lip filler, it’s important to be aware of potential side effects or complications that may occur. Here are some things to look out for after getting dermal lip filler:
- Swelling and bruising: It’s common to experience some swelling and bruising at the injection site, which may last for a few days to a week after the procedure.
- Discomfort: You may experience some discomfort, tenderness, or a sensation of tightness in the lips for a few days after the procedure. This can usually be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers and ice packs.
- Asymmetry: In some cases, the lips may appear slightly asymmetrical or uneven after the procedure. This can usually be corrected with additional filler or adjustments.
- Infection: While rare, there is a risk of infection after dermal lip filler. Signs of infection may include redness, swelling, tenderness, and warmth around the injection site. If you experience these symptoms, contact your practitioner immediately.
- Allergic reaction: In rare cases, some people may have an allergic reaction to the filler material. Signs of an allergic reaction may include swelling, itching, rash, or difficulty breathing. If you experience these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
- Nodules or lumps: Occasionally, small nodules or lumps may form under the skin after the filler injection. These can usually be massaged out or dissolved with additional treatments.
If you experience any concerning symptoms after getting dermal lip filler, it’s important to contact your Doctor immediately. They can help you determine if any further treatment or intervention is necessary to address the issue.
If you have any additional questions that weren’t answered in our Lip Filler: Everything You Need To Know article, contact us here with your questions and we will answer them.
If you want to look and feel your very best with glowing, healthy skin, book your consultation with one of Eden Medicals Doctors today, and discuss any concerns and aesthetic goals you want to achieve. If you don’t have the time to come for a consultation, then that’s no problem at all. At Eden Medical we are offering a Free Full Facial Analysis Service as a part of Eden’s Personalised Patient Programme. Click below to find out more details.